Pages

Sunday, November 30, 2014

lighted wish sign...

i hope everyone had a wonderful thanksgiving:)  ours was filled with special people, lots of laughter, picture taking, and of course, food:)  so many blessings!

and, in a blink of an eye, fall pretty much leaves us, giving way to thoughts of christmas.

i wanted to make a lighted sign last year, but, lining up the circles and getting the holes the right sized stumped me.

then, i read this great post, and knew i could do this project using my silhouette cameo's free design program.  i didn't follow her tutorial exactly, but, she inspired me to use my program and it worked out great.


(if you have a great eye-hand coordination, you might be able to free hand the holes and skip this pattern part).

in the program, i typed the word "wish", using the arial font.  be sure to set the finshed size you want for your sign before adding the circles.

the program makes it easy to size the circles.  i made a .40 sized circle using the ellipse tool, duplicating it as needed.  (.40 fits the lights i'm using--the massed produced mini lights.)  i ended up using 60 circles to fill the wish. 

i filled each letter with the circles, leaving a gap between the circles about the size of a circle. 


when you have all of the circles placed like you want, you can delete the arial font part, and you are left with just the wish in circles.  then, i printed it out.


place the print out on your sign board, be sure to center it horizontally, and vertically, then,  tape down.  i used a 3/8" drill bit, and drilled out each circle, then sanded and painted the board.

when i inserted my lights, all but 3 sit perfectly in the holes, so i used electrical tape to hold them in place.  oh, i added some lath boards around the sign edges-to give it a finished look:)  any questions--just ask:)

i'm working on my xmas decorations for this fun christmas tour:)


thanks for stopping by!

22 comments:

  1. I love your wish sign, Lynn. I'm trying a lit sign this year, too. Right now, I'm in the "staring at it" phase! haha
    I'm ready to see your White Christmas. Kisses for Miss Bailey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great and pretty sign Lynn. I cannot wait to see you on the home tour and see all your pretty decor.
    Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you had a great Thanksgiving....Food,,today I quit eating...I think! Love the sign, I really want a Silhoutte!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your sign, Lynn. I like anything with lights at Christmas!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  5. danke für die wunderschönen bilder und inspirationen, einen schönen 1. advent wünscht angie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a pretty creation! WISH...is a great word! Blessings~~~Roxie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the light up wish sign. Very creative, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your "wish" sign turned out beautiful! I would never attempt to do anything like that!! Will look forward to seeing your home tour! Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lynn, love your sign. It turned out gorgeous and looks fabulous where you have it displayed.
    Happy December~ xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is amazing, Lynn! So unique and pretty-great job! :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your sign is so merry and bright.. It looks just perfect! Thank you for sharing and congratulations on your Artful Blogging feature!
    What an honor. :) Putting it on my Christmas list so I can read your feature.
    Blessings, Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lynn, your sign really turned out cute. I love how it lights up and I love the word, wish! Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann
    p.s. Get your post ready for Monday and e-mail me the title sometime Sunday. Then I will send you the code for the linky to add to your post. I will give you instructions then. It's really easy. Thanks again for joining!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this Lynn, such a clever yet subtle idea to add sparkle at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's amazing ! I love it! Wish would be the word I would have chosen for my sign.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a pretty sign! You always have something so original to share. Love how it lights up! So clever.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a pretty.....and very cool sign Lynn....LOVE it! Thank you for sharing the tutorial too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful and clever, you have such great ideas! Big hugs, ~Diane

    ReplyDelete